So to be frank, I am good at most sports. Even if I have never tried it, if someone teaches me well, I can pick it up. There is an exception to this rule...it is soccer. I'm just not good at it. I even got put on this really good team in 9th grade with my best friends cause they thought, "we can make her good at this." Little did they know. I've decided that being a mom is like playing in a soccer game for me. That never ends. You are in the middle of the game, so you can't ever stop to practice. There are brief times when the ball is on the other side of the field and you can enjoy a "moment" with one of the kids. There are very few goals. We score now and again, but as soccer fans know...not that often. Sometimes you make a good pass, or a good save. But mostly, you are just running around and getting tired in the middle of this game. This REALLY important game. The MOST important game of your life. I feel like I am in the middle of a game that I am not very good at, that I MUST figure out before it is over. You keep playing, and you keep playing hard cause sometimes that is all you know how to do. I've been really good at other things in my lifetime. But it doesn't seem to matter at all. I just wish I was REALLY good at soccer.
So my game is tennis, not soccer, but I can totally relate.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a good analogy! As for soccer, you were good! You may not have been incredibly amazing like you are in every other sport in the world, but you were pretty darn good. Loved the post. I feel like that all the time...
ReplyDeleteAmen sista! I am feeling the same way. Maybe we just need some perspective...and a vacation away from the kids!
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteI am 100% positive that you are a fabulous mom! Only GOOD moms care enough to evaluate themselves! so, don't be so hard on yourself! just imagine what would happen if for only ONE day you weren't there...then you'll know how important and loved you are. unfolded (or unwashed) laundry, dust, lint, wrinkles or clutter do NOT matter! happy, well-adjusted and well-taught kids do! and thats where you SCORE big!
love,
liz beus
I find it hard to believe you would struggle with soccer.
ReplyDeleteLook at motherhood like basketball (something you are extremely good at)... Getting breakfast on the table (2 points), cleaning up the spilled milk from breakfast (2 points), fixing a scraped knee (2 points), reading a bedtime story (2 points), loving every moment you have with your kids (game).
See, you rock at that. :)