Friday, August 28, 2009

Timpanogos Cave

I got adventurous and decided to hike Timp cave with some friends that were in town from Encinitas. It was a lot steeper than I remembered. :-) It is a pretty steep hike. You gain about 1000 ft in elevation in less than an hour. Garrett hiked ALL the way up without any help. Molly hiked ALL the way up and down with no help. They were great little hikers. Hansen did pretty well. He had to eat twice but he made it through the cave without screaming...which is good. :-) I had forgotten how much I love the mountains. The air was so crisp and fresh. The view was incredible. A little too incredible at some points. The cliff edges stressed me a out a bit(seriously HUGE drop offs) Keeping the kids on the right side of me was a little stressful. But it really was beautiful. The cave was incredible. The pic is of the "heart" in the cave. Weighs about 2 tons and is 5-7 stalactites "grown" together...(it did not ever form a column because in this part of the cave the water evaporated so it didn't form a stalacmite on the the bottom...for all you scientists out there). Molly and Garrett only got scared during the part where they turn off all of the lights and you can't see your hand in front of you. But then the ranger did a light show on the ceiling...so it ended happy. :-)
This is a pic of Garrett at the end when the ranger said that the little hole above the exit is probably a bat cave. That perked up Garrett's attention and he proceeded to tell the ranger about his batman shirt and how bats hang upside down. :-) Molly loved the room with the unicorn and Garrett kept trying to figure out why the ranger told them to look for treasures and that they were on a treasure hunt. :-) "What a tweasure hunt!?"

4 comments:

  1. We love the cave! We did it last year and yes it is quite a hike. I was pregnant and had to rest about 20 times! Anyway it is an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy that the kids did it too! Way to go guys! I just heard a lady saying that she and her friends hike it every morning as their workout and apparently that's become 'the thing to do' but yet here I sit watching mickey mouse clubhouse eating! haha. And nice job carrying Garrett! you're my hero

    ReplyDelete
  3. lis, i thought i'd posted a comment here but i don't see it. i would love to play ball with you guys! call me or text me with where and when! 801-376-3245

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adventurous, but sounds like fun. I love the idea of cousins camp from an earlier post...I will have to pass the great idea along to my parents.

    ReplyDelete

BYU at SDSU Football Game

BYU at SDSU Football Game

Buddies

Buddies
Fall 2007

Molly Ann diggin at the Beach

Molly Ann diggin at the Beach
Summer 2007

Buried in the Sand

Buried in the Sand
I loved it when he got buried, because he would just sit there...it made the beach much more relaxing. :-)